Wednesday 23 November 2011

JISC Digital Media: Making better videos: Planning Your Video Production


Planning Your Video Production - Location planning from JISC Digital Media on Vimeo.

I attended a short but informative session today hosted by JISC Digital Media. It was all about making better videos. I make videos myself and advise academic staff on how best to create their own 'vodcasts'. However, its one of those areas that everyone needs to keep up to date, with its changing trends and approaches to what constitutes good practice. Granted the main principles stay the same...

I was pleased to see a very structured framework from preparing scripts (storyboards) right through to hiring extra crew. I've yet to do the hiring in extra crew bit, but that certainly is something to consider for bigger productions. We are fortunate here at Plymouth University to have our own media services and some willing fellow Learning Technologists thrown in... However, I would recommend attending a few of these sessions just to get into the mindset of producing films. The above video gives some handy insights and tips, its worth a look!

The highlight was listening to Steve Bowles from Eye Witness Productions. Steve has a fair amount of television productions so his angle on the production process was invaluable. I have to add a comment that was made during the question time, something that I often advocate, to quote Steve Bowles: 'a video should be as short as it can be - test on people you know before the main audience'

Thank you to Zak Mensah and others at JISC Digital Media for putting this together, I will look forward to similar productions!

No comments:

Post a Comment