Tuesday 10 November 2009

QTVR and Windows 7 64bit don't mix

It appears I have stumbled across a compatibility issue with Apples QTVRs. I use the 64bit version of Windows 7 and even after installing the latest quicktime drivers Im still unable to load QTVRs within my browsers (So far IE8 and Firefox 3.5.5 dont display them). The QTVRs show the 'Q' symbol when loading, but remains white, it is possible to right click and select options, but no images show. I did a bit of searching and found this fairly recent post, it would seem the evidence is building for this bug. However, this issue does not seem to cause trouble on 32bit systems, so for the majority of users this will not be a problem. Hopefully Apple will catch up and fix this, or Ill have to move/convert to Flash VRs in the future...

*NEW UPDATE*

7 comments:

  1. I also have this problem, I had recently bought a new computer from dell. 64Bit WIndows 7, I do alot of modelling with Cinema 4D and when i tried to load it up it keeps on giving me an error, I tried using it on my old computer and it worked fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here with new 64 bit computer.. hope this QT-problem will be fixed soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so THAT'S why it doesn't work. I've been trying to figure out why I couldn't play QTVRs on any of my computers (all running W7 x64). At least I know there's nothing wrong with my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like the evidence is growing. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem. Windows 7 @ 64-bit. If you run compatibility it gets even weirder...it changes colors to Windows 7 Basic (which makes your transparent windows opaque). This will enable you to play VRs on your own machine but if you're trying to play them from a server, it crashes. Thank you Windows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous, another useful piece of info. Interesting that it works in compatibility mode... I'm beginning to wonder what is really at fault here...Windows or QTVR? Seems that if it sort of works in compatibility, then some updating in QTVRs code is probably a solution...

    Im currently looking into options for flash as a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to say that the latest update for quicktime 7.6.6 now works on Window 7 64 bit! I still may move over to Flash though... Don't want this happening again.

    ReplyDelete